Mā te tuakana te teina e tōtika, Mā te teina te tuakana e tōtika
The older will lead the younger and the younger will lead the older.
We offer free membership to students attending Massey University’s veterinary school, and offer discounted membership fees for the first two years after graduation.
Being a veterinary student is where it all begins – the experiences and friendships made at university last a lifetime, so we pitch in to support social events too.
Special benefits for vet students
Student mentoring scheme
The NZVA mentor scheme partners members at any stage of their career with experienced practitioners to help guide and nurture career goals and personal development.
Networking, resources and communications
- Free online membership to NZVA's Special Interest Branches.
- Free online access to member-only resources: get access to the NZVA's online Resource Centre with links to our policies, guidelines, position statements, templates and more.
- Free online access to SciQuest: SciQuest is an e-Library of quality Australasian veterinary and animal science publications. Every word of every article is searchable, and every article has been classified by a veterinary expert.
- Free online access to VetScript: the flagship magazine of the NZVA, which promotes the incredible breadth and depth of the veterinary profession.
- Free online access to the New Zealand Veterinary Journal: the NZVA's international journal publishing high quality peer-reviewed articles covering all aspects of veterinary science, including clinical practice, animal welfare and animal health.
- VetLaunch (for 1st year students): An event for first-year veterinary students to welcome you to the profession, introduce you to the NZVA and have some fun.
- Crossroads (for 3rd year students): An seminar that provides insight into the diversity of opportunities available to you.
- Prelude to Practice (for 5th year students): An event, as part of your professional studies, to give you a good understanding of what your professional association does for you once you’re in the real world.
- In-Practice (1st year after graduation): Held at the same time as graduation, this event gives you the opportunity to share your experience from being in the industry for your first six months, and get support or advice to ensure your wellbeing is being looked after.
Each year, the NZVA provides sponsorship for:
- Massey University graduation prizes
- Massey Vet Ball best-dressed prizes
- Massey students fundraising calendar
- Student networking and communications
- Invitation to Massey University Veterinary Students Association (MUVSA) President and Executive Committee Members to attend an NZVA Board meeting and a Branch executives forum