The New Zealand Veterinary Journal (NZVJ) is an international journal publishing high quality peer-reviewed articles covering all aspects of veterinary science, including clinical practice, animal welfare and animal health.
Read the latest issue
Find the latest issue of the NZVJ online at Taylor & Francis.
All our Special issues can also be found on one page at Taylor & Francis.
NZVA Members can read the current issue of the NZVJ on SciQuest (you'll need to login to SciQuest to view). Members can also browse selected papers grouped by topic, in article collections.
The complete archive of the NZVJ (over 65 years of peer-reviewed veterinary science) is available online in fully indexed and searchable format on SciQuest.
The 2018 Impact Factor (from Clarivate Analytics) for the NZVJ is 1.345, and the NZVJ is ranked 45/141 of all veterinary science journals. The 5-year impact factor is 1.586. The impact factor is a measure of the number of citations in a given year to
articles published in the NZVJ in the previous two years, and is one metric used for comparison of peer-reviewed journals.
Sign up for the latest news from the NZVJ.
WVAC Special Issue
Unfortunately, World Veterinary Association Congress 2020 has been cancelled, but access to New Zealand Veterinary Journal WVAC Special Issue is still available for you to download.
To celebrate the World Veterinary Association Congress the editors of New Zealand Veterinary Journal have invited selected speakers to provide reviews based on their presentation.
The papers are free to access via the Taylor and Francis website only until May 31st, 2020.
Aims and scope
Aims of the Journal
- To be the flagship publication of the New Zealand Veterinary Association (NZVA), publishing evidence-based research by veterinary clinicians and animal scientists.
- To provide a forum for the dissemination of research on animal welfare and the improvement of animal wellbeing.
- To be a highly-relevant educational resource for veterinary and animal science professionals in New Zealand and overseas, including publication of special issues and state of the art reviews, and to inform the wider public on related topics.
- The NZVJ publishes original research findings, clinical communications (including novel case reports and case series), correspondence and review articles, originating from New Zealand and internationally.
- Topics should be relevant to New Zealand veterinary and animal science communities, and include the disciplines of infectious disease, medicine, surgery and the health, management and welfare of production and companion animals, horses and New Zealand
- All submissions are expected to meet the highest ethical and welfare standards, as detailed in the Journal's instructions for authors.
All submissions undergo initial editor screening and then are independently peer-reviewed, regardless of source.
There are no charges for routine publication, unless authors choose to make their article freely available online through the Taylor and Francis Open Select option.
Information for authors
Preparing an article for the NZVJ? Find instructions for authors and submission information.
Subscribe or advertise
Subscribe to the NZVJ
Online access to the NZVJ through SciQuest is a member benefit for NZVA members.
If you are not an NZVA member but would like to subscribe click here.
Advertise in the NZVJ
For more information on advertising in the NZVJ email email@example.com