Mycoplasma bovis update: 11 December
Monday, 10 December 2018
The current situation
As at 7 December there are:
- 32 Infected Properties (8 in the North Island, 24 in the South Island), down from 34 in the previous update.
- 52 properties under Restricted Place Notice (this number includes infected properties), down from 58 in the previous update.
Find out about the types of notices, and what they mean here.
If you’ve not done so yet, sign up to the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) M. bovis stakeholder update. This is emailed out each Friday. It’s for you, your farmer clients, and anyone else who is interested. Subscribe to this list.
M. bovis in Taranaki
A Taranaki farm has been served a Restricted Place notice, this is the first one in Taranaki.
MPI has advised that this is not a new infection or outbreak. The cattle from this farm come from another farm which is infected. The tests show the herd has been exposed to Mycoplasma bovis and therefore are at a very high risk of being infected. This is a sensitive situation and extremely trying for the farmers involved.
For privacy reasons MPI cannot go into specifics of the property involved, however they have confirmed that a number of animals will be culled. MPI are working with the owners of the property, providing them welfare support and ensuring they and their support networks are well supported through the process.
MPI’s M. bovis Compensation team has developed a range of new guidance materials to help farmers with their claims on specific areas of the M. bovis Response.
In these new FAQs MPI explain what farmers can claim for, how they can claim, and what evidence they will need to provide. They relate to:
- Stock destruction
- Stock replacement – higher market costs
- Stock replacement – transport costs
- Beef production
- Bull servicing
- Movement restriction
- Milk Production Loss
- Milk Calculator worked example
- Milk Loss Claims – Fixed and Variable
Find them at https://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/protection-and-response/mycoplasma-bovis/advice-for-farmers-under-controls/compensation/
- General questions on M. bovis - call MPI on 0800 008 333 or email MBovis2017_Liaison@mpi.govt.nz
- Veterinary specific questions – contact NZVA on 04 471 0484 or email email@example.com
- Veterinarian support – Confidential counselling is available to veterinarians in New Zealand for free through Vitae. Veterinarians receive three free visits per year. Appointments can be made via the 24-hour free phone service 0508 664 981 or on completion of a self-referral counselling form. Find the counselling form here. Members can also speak to our Chief Veterinary Officer, Helen Beattie. Call 04 471 0484.
- Direct farmer support (Rural Support Trust) - 0800 787 254
- To report a pest or disease (Exotic Pest and Disease Hotline) - 0800 809 966