About the course
Performing on-farm surgery is an important skill for any high-quality dairy veterinarian to have.
This course will increase knowledge, skills and confidence in diagnosis and treatment of a wide variety of bovine surgical conditions in the field.
Bovine surgical referral facilities have not developed to the same extent as companion animal and equine disciplines. The result is a need for cattle veterinarians to expand their on-farm surgical expertise to meet the demands of the dairy and beef cattle breeding industries.
Increased confidence and competence to perform on-farm bovine surgery will motivate you as a clinician, improve cow welfare and add value to clients. Timely decision making, knowledge of surgical options and a practiced technique ensure you’ll be providing a high quality complete service.
By the end of this course you will be able to offer a more proficient service improving clinical and welfare outcomes for your patients as well as client confidence and relations.
Download flyer (PDF).
8-10 hours of self-directed, online presentations and related materials will be available 2 weeks prior to the wet lab, which is a full day of demonstrations and hands-on practice guided by experts.
An online-only course registration is now available.
Online-only course prices:
- NZVA members: $450
- Non-members: $650
- Improved knowledge of bovine anatomy
- Increased confidence in determining good surgical candidates
- Increased confidence in using sedatives and anaesthesia for on-farm surgery
- Understand various approaches to local anaesthesia of paralumba fossa and the lower limb.
- Increased diagnostic knowledge and skills for making surgical decisions
- Have a clear approach to common bovine orthopaedic procedures
- Be confident managing bovine abdominal surgical cases
Kristina Mueller Dip. ECBHM
Guy Oakley Bsc, BVSc
The full course (online & practical day) is worth up to 16 CVE points. NZVA members get access to the MyCPD record.