About the course
Horse owners are now aware of the importance of regular high-quality equine dental care for the health and performance of their animals. Regular dental examinations build strong relationships with clients and support equine welfare.
The importance of having confident and competent veterinarians perform high-quality routine equine dentistry is an important issue for NZVA and MPI.
This course will cover basic theory and practical aspects of a routine equine dental exam. It’s aimed at veterinarian seeking to cement their routine equine dentistry skills and will suit those new to equine practice or wishing to increase their equine dentistry skills. Benefits include brushing up on theory and oral exam technique, while learning the latest avenues for treatment of commonly found pathology.This course will help veterinarians to identify dental pathology that could be relevant in a per-purchase examination.
The online section will cover all aspects of routine equine dentistry, helping you provide thorough examinations and treatment for every horse you see.The one-day wet-lab will put the theory into practice using dry skulls, cadaver heads and live horses under the guidance of experienced equine dental veterinarians.
Download flyer (PDF).
6-8 hours of self-directed, online presentations and related materials will be available 4 weeks prior to the wet lab, which is a full day of demonstrations and hands-on practice guided by experts.
- Skull and dental related anatomy
- Ultra-structural anatomy of teeth
- Basic radiology theory for skull and teeth
- Wolf teeth extraction technique with nerve blocks
- Charting technique
- Floating technique
- Feel confident performing an oral health exam
- Identify routinely found dental pathology
- Recognise what’s normal and abnormal on skull radiographs with emphasis on dental aspects
- Improve your hand and motorised floating skills
- Get familiar with routine treatment options
- Learn about advanced treatment options
- Feel confident with routine wolf tooth extractions
Ray Lenaghan MVB, MANZCVS (Eq Dent)
Glenn Beeman, BSc, DVM, MANZCVSc (Eq Dent)
Elizabeth Thompson BA(hons.), DVM, MANZCVS (Eq Dent), GradDipTeach(Sec)
Katie Kindleysides BVSc. CertAVP(ED)
Marieke van den Enden DVM MANZCVS (Eq Dent)
NZVA member: $1100
This course us worth up to 12 CPD points when recorded as 12 CVE or 3 SDL/3 CLA.